Mister Man wanted me to send along a recipe for the annual Holiday Cookbook his hospital put together. This is what I sent. Whaddya think?
Here is my recipe for Hot Lips Cake. It is SUPER easy to make and takes about 38 minutes of your life.
Hot Lips Cake
1 box yellow cake batter mix (personally, I use the one that is one $ale at the time)
>>>whatever the box calls for — eggs, oil/butter and water are usually the norm
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
table TEAspoons of cayenne pepper*
3 heaping teaspoons of cinnamon*
3 heaping teaspoons of nutmeg *
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract* (the real stuff, please)
1/4 cup Sugar in the Raw
* – Let me be explicit here — I don’t measure things when I cook. Alton Brown would be so very sad. Eh, it works for me, though. So, when I say “4 teaspoons of thus and such”, I am making an educated guess. That is about what it looks like in the bowl.
Dump everything into a medium mixing bowl. With an electric beater on medium, whip all those ingredients together for about 2 minutes. The batter will be puffy and shiny. Pour into a greased Bundt pan and put into a 350 oven for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let it cool completely before plating it. While it is cooling, you can make the frosting.
Just kidding. When it cools down enough, you can frost it with chocolate Frosting Inna Can.
If you really, really want homemade frosting though – I can give you my Sis-in-Law’s. It is MAHVELOUS, darling. Plus, BONUS! She actually measures stuff.
Rich Chocolate Frosting
* 2 cups butter (no substitutes), softened
* 9 cups confectioners’ sugar
* 2 1/2 cups baking cocoa
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup milk
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Add enough milk until frosting reaches spreading consistency.